The Advocacy & Policy Associate will be responsible for effectively engaging and mobilizing Resource Center constituents in advocacy activities, growing the Center’s network of community partners, supporting national mobilization efforts, and helping fulfill the goals of the Center’s strategic advocacy plan. This position reports to the Communications and Advocacy Manager.
Duties, Functions, Responsibilities:
1. Effectively engage and mobilize Center constituents in advocacy by such activities as:
- Mobilization, collaborative organizing and rapid response strategies
- Writing content for social media, Center publications, media releases and other forms of communication
- Educating and training constituents in advocacy strategies and outreach
2. Growing and strengthening the Center’s network of community partners by such activities as:
- Representing the Center at community events and participating in strategic collaborations
- Communicating effectively with partner organizations and individuals
- Seeking strategic opportunities
3. Supporting national mobilization efforts by such work as:
- Building and maintaining strategic relationships
- Researching national issues that impact the Center and its constituents
- Disseminating information and calls to action
4. Fulfilling the goals of the Center’s strategic advocacy plan in ways such as:
- Supporting Center programs with related advocacy and education activities (i.e., supporting the PrEP clinic through advocacy for HIV prevention)
- Working with other staff to communicate the impact and value of the Center’s advocacy program to donors and stakeholders
- Creating curriculum and providing training to a wide variety of groups
- Expanding the impact of the Center’s advocacy through more equitable social policies
- Supporting outreach, education and training for the “Out in Safe Schools” program with area school districts
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to work and act independently and to make and carry out decisions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to lead teams and projects, and work collaboratively.
- Excellent customer service in all interactions.
- Successfully manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Appreciation and respect for working with and serving a diverse population.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to gather data, compile information and prepare reports.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information, draw conclusions and problem solve.
- Ability to provide quality supervision of volunteers.
Job Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited domestic or international college or university
- Background in policy, government relations, and LGBT advocacy preferred
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Three years of work related experience
- Experience and commitment working with and sensitivity toward LGBTQ communities
- Bi-lingual (Spanish and English) preferred
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Recruit and utilize volunteers
- Excellent computer skills
- Valid Driver’s license and access to reliable transportation
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with women and men of diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity and age
License and Certification Requirements:
Full time position. Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package is provided. This position is Exempt.
Send cover letter with salary requirements and resume to email@example.com.
Resource Center is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all persons, especially those who bring the benefits of diversity to the organization. Women, people of color and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
It is the Center's policy to operate and conduct business without discrimination or segregation because of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or disability, except where there is a bona fide occupational qualification for the job tasks to be performed.