Reports To: Board Chair (on behalf of Sixty & Better Board of Directors)
Location: Sixty & Better Central Office, Fort Worth, Texas
FLSA Status: Exempt
Revised Date: December 2017
Sixty & Better is where healthy aging begins. Through our signature programming and vital services, Sixty & Better provides social, health, wellness, and nutritional support, as well as volunteer opportunities that allow older people to serve others.
A nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, our vision is to end isolation so those in the prime of their lives can thrive and contribute to their community in meaningful ways. In 1967, we opened Tarrant County’s first older adult activity center in south Fort Worth and have since grown into a county-wide network of 25 Activity Centers in 13 cities, many located in low-income neighborhoods and in minority communities, serving more than 3,500 older people annually.
Formerly Senior Citizen Services of Greater Tarrant County, our mission—to empower older adults to live with purpose, independence, and dignity—remains the same as it was 50 years ago.
Summary of Position
The Chief Executive Officer of Sixty & Better provides leadership and overall direction to the Organization, which administers a comprehensive array of services for older adults in accordance with the Organization’s mission. The CEO shall have overall accountability, responsibility and authority for the management of the business and affairs of the Organization. This shall be accomplished in accordance with the strategic plan and objectives adopted and approved by the Board and are subject to oversight by the Board. The CEO shall lead the Organization to meet the requirements of the donors, recipients of Sixty & Better services, and to comply with applicable laws and regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The major responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Represents the Organization to the community at the local, state, and national levels and provides information about the Organization and its activities through public appearances, speeches, personal contacts, and the media.
- Drives key results in fundraising; identifies, cultivates and solicits prospective donors and key leaders of prospective new partners; leverages personal and professional contacts and relationships into fundraising opportunities; and promotes a culture of fundraising in the Organization, both at the staff and board level.
- Serves as the principal resource to the Board of Directors and its key committees. Gives strong direction in policy formulation and interpretation. Partners with the Board of Directors and staff to craft organizational goals and develops strategies to ensure that those goals are achieved. Responsible to the Board of Directors for management and operation of the Organization in keeping with the bylaws, policies, budgets and procedures established by the Board of Directors.
- Accountable for building and leading a high-performing team consisting of staff and volunteers and ensuring all are aligned and collaborating to achieve organizational results.
- Maintains accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the Organization within policies set by the Board of Directors.
- Assesses organizational capacity to implement strategies and identify gaps in systems and staffing.
- Provides training, supervision, and evaluation of key management personnel, establishes individual goals for direct reports.
- Monitors Organization compliance, and mitigates financial risks.
- Ensures that goals of inclusiveness and diversity among staff and volunteers are met.
- Bachelor’s Degree required (appropriate degree in aging, gerontology, sociology, social work, management, business, or other related fields.) Master’s degree preferred.
- Compassion and empathy for clients served by the Organization and values consistent with the mission of Sixty & Better, Inc. are required.
- A minimum of five years of proven experience in management. (Substantial experience working in the non-profit sector and interacting with volunteers and diverse boards. Alternatively, extensive senior strategic leadership experience in the management of organizations of comparable size and mission.)
- General knowledge of aging and ability to relate to older adults and their concerns.
- Expertise on issues relevant to the Organization
- A demonstrated track record of promoting diversity and an ability to build collaboration with the community at large.
- Experience in or across multiple sectors, including non-profit, public, academic and corporate environments.
- Experience in developing partnerships, building teams and conflict management.
- Experience in building revenue and increasing philanthropic support.
- Ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing. Ability to converse in a language other than English with our clients preferred
- Must demonstrate a high level of intelligence and intellectual curiosity and a desire to explore new ideas and innovative approaches to solving problems.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Must have own transportation and a valid Texas driver’s license. Must be willing to use one’s personal automobile for business use (Sixty & Better reimburses for mileage traveled pertaining to business).
$90,000 to $100,000 (commensurate with qualifications and experience)
Interested qualified candidates please submit a PDF file of your resume, cover letter, and references to:
- EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SUBJECT: Sixty& Better CEO Search
Consequence of Errors
Errors could result in loss of productive time, dissatisfaction, and loss of clients, volunteers, donors, or supporters; financial loss for the Organization; damage to Organization’s reputation; and possible lawsuit against the Organization.
Exposure to Confidential Information
The CEO of Sixty & Better has access to client, donor, and volunteer personal information and to funding resources information. Unauthorized release of information could result in dissatisfied clients or volunteers, loss of donors and funding, and possible lawsuit against the Organization.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed herein are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. An ability to tolerate working in a sometimes stressful and demanding environment is essential.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Sixty & Better provides equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Violations may result in disciplinary action reviewed by Sixty & Better Board of Directors.