The Council on Alcohol & Drugs is seeking a qualified person to serve as a Community Outreach Specialist. This position works with the Director of Prevention Services and program staff to ensure that services are delivered in a consumer friendly manner in accordance with the Health and Human Services Commission’s (HHSC) Statement of Work, as well as other departmental, agency, and HHSC guidelines.
- Conduct on-site visits to tobacco retailers to promote voluntary compliance with tobacco sale regulations and make follow-up visits to ensure compliance.
- Educate retailers about Texas tobacco laws.
- Participate in tobacco-related events, such as Great American Smokeout and Kick-Butts
- Conduct tobacco, alcohol (underage drinking), marijuana, and prescription drugs presentations to parents and other community members.
- Participate in prevention coalitions and/or activities related to minors and tobacco, alcohol (underage drinking), marijuana, and prescription drugs.
- Contact schools to share the benefits and promote participation in local and/or statewide surveys.
- Participate in health/information fairs to distribute local, county, and/or regional data.
- Assist the Regional Resources Evaluator in preparing the annual needs assessment and community resource assessments in target communities.
- Participate in writing and distributing press releases related to departmental activities.
- Attend local and/or statewide training to keep abreast of alcohol, tobacco, and other drug trends.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree. (preferred)
- One year of experience in tobacco, alcohol, drug prevention and/or community health. (preferred)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and the internet.
- Experience making presentations and facilitating meetings.
- Must be detail oriented with an ability to plan, organize and achieve objectives.
- Personal vehicle with applicable Texas insurance for local travel.
Annual salary range: $34,000-$38,000 plus mileage reimbursement and benefits.
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Be sure to reference ‘Community Outreach Specialist’ in the subject line.