More than 25 years ago, Mrs. Barbara Bush founded the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy. Then First Lady, she started the nonprofit with a goal to empower families through literacy. Driven by her passion for reading, she set out to raise awareness about the importance of family literacy, in other words, giving children and their parents the opportunity to learn and achieve together.
Mrs. Bush stated that if more people could read or write, “we could be much closer to solving so many other problems that our country faces.” She recognized that providing access to literacy programs was essential to helping parents and children have an equal chance to succeed in life. Her work has helped to improve the lives of many families across the nation and continues to inspire the next generation of learners.
The primary responsibility of the Development Director is to raise major gifts to ensure adequate funding of the annual budget of the Barbara Bush Foundation, including managing program events, such as Celebrations of Reading as assigned. This position contributes to the creation and implementation of strategies for the cultivation and solicitation of a portfolio of gift prospects.
Development Director duties include, but are not limited to:
- Secure major gifts for the foundation
- Develop strategies to secure major gifts.
- Event coordination/management and execution of the Celebration of Reading event(s) and other program events for the foundation as assigned.
- Secure sponsorships and generate ticket sales for the Celebration of Reading and other program events as assigned.
- Supervise and support execution of publicity plan and marketing for programs and program events.
- Compose grant applications and proposals for donations.
- Identify new potential donors, through research, events, networking, and other strategies.
- Document and manage portfolio activity using Raiser’s Edge database.
- Represent organization at fundraising events and in donor cultivation meetings.
- Represent the foundation at events nationally, as assigned.
- Travel as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Direct Supervisor: Chief Development Officer
Education/Certification: Bachelor’s degree in education or experience in related field and 5-7 years of experience.
- Strong fundraising skills.
- Strong communication, public relations and customer service skills.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Superb attention to detail.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and meet deadlines within a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to look beyond specific assignments to see opportunities for development and program support.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to different situations to meet the needs of the organization.
- Ability to work from home with limited supervision.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge or another CRM database strongly preferred.
Interested applicants please send resume and cover letter to Kay Kammel: at email@example.com