Reports To: Vice President of Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Summary: The Development Officer will be a key member of the Development team, responsible for donor and community engagement through the successful leadership, planning and execution of CIS’ signature fundraising events, the cultivation of current and prospective individual and corporate donors, increased volunteer engagement, and working alongside CIS staff to elevate the community profile of CIS through social media, marketing, public relations, and speaking.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Volunteers, Event Committees
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Identify, solicit, cultivate, and grow current and future corporate and individual event sponsors
- Cultivate, outside of events, both individual and corporate donors to increase annual giving
- Work collaboratively with volunteer committees, Board members, and staff to plan and execute spring and fall events, to include planning, soliciting support, designing collateral pieces, signage, oversee mailings, etc., managing vendors and event-related contractual relationships, day-of logistics, and continued follow up with donors
- Manage and lead event planning committee meetings
- Manage and solicit marketing content for: website, monthly newsletter, annual reports and other external marketing documents
- Develop and maintain contact with marketing and public relation contacts; including area print and broadcast media
- Manage and grow social media presence on channels which include, but not limited to: Facebook, YouTube, Instagram & Twitter
- Occasional public speaking for community events, fairs, corporate partners, etc.
- Work closely with VP of Development and program staff to develop opportunities to increase school-based volunteer engagement
- Promote a strong culture of team-building, trust, empowerment, and high professional standards
- At all times, represent the best interests of CIS and promote positive views of the organization, its policies, and benefits of employment with CIS
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment. Manages competing demands. Accepts criticism and feedback. Changes approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Change Management – Builds commitment and overcomes resistance. Communicates change effectively. Develops workable implementation plans. Monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally and in written form. Exhibits good listening and comprehension. Keeps others adequately informed. Selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Dependability – Responds to requests for service and assistance. Follows instructions, responds to management direction. Takes responsibility for own actions. Commits to doing the best job possible. Keeps commitments. Meets attendance and punctuality guidelines.
- Impact & Influence – Achieves win-win outcomes. Addresses divergent opinions. Displays ability to influence key decision-makers. Pursues and wins support for ideas. Uses authority appropriately to accomplish goals. Maintains professional image as an example for staff.
- Innovation – Meets challenges with resourcefulness. Generates suggestions for improving work. Develops innovative approaches and ideas.
- Managing Volunteers – Provides direction and gains compliance. Makes self available to volunteers.
- Planning & Organization – Prioritizes and plans work activities. Uses time efficiently. Plans for additional resources. Integrates changes smoothly. Sets goals and objectives. Works in an organized manner.
- Project Management – Develops project plans. Coordinates projects. Communicates changes and progress. Completes projects on time and budget. Manages project team activities.
- Strategic Thinking – Adapts strategy to changing conditions. Analyzes market and competition. Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals. Identifies external threats and opportunities.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 2-3 years experience in development, sales, and/or marketing strongly preferred.
Read, analyze and interpret business, professional or technical documents. Write reports and business correspondence. Effectively present information to both internal and external audiences, including occasional public speaking.
Add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Compute rate, ratio and percent, and draw and interpret bar graphs.
Apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Required: Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
Preferred: Proficiency in managing social media platforms: Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram; Prefer experience with Constant Contact or similar marketing/email tool; Prefer experience with website maintenance; Experience with design software such as InDesign highly preferred
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision.
About Communities In Schools: The mission of Communities in Schools is to surround children with a community of support empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life.
This position is full-time/exempt with a competitive benefits package including but not limited to paid medical, vision, and dental; 403b including employer matching; continuing education reimbursement and more.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
If interested in this position, please email cover letter and resume to Cory Henderson at: