Job Description Overview – The Development Officer will focus on expanding the existing development program, with an emphasis on major gifts cultivation. The successful candidate will implement strategies for substantial development revenue growth by securing major gifts from individuals, foundations and corporations. The primary objective of the position is to develop long-term relationships built on a firm understanding of donors’ interests, passions and values.
In many ways, our organization is a 28-year-old startup. We have new opportunities and a recently-expanded donor based that needs to be cultivated. This position comes with the challenge of meeting high revenue goals, but an excellent candidate will find success in loyal and new supporters and a relatable, compelling message that is well-crafted and moving when delivered.
We are looking for someone who will bring their own tactics to execute our strategy. The successful candidate will be bright, enthusiastic, motivated, and willing to serve as a trusted partner to the Executive Director. You must be open to continuous learning and coaching from industry experts and local consultants and a dedicated Board of Directors.
Successful officer will research individual, corporate, and foundation prospects in DFW/North Texas region, Texas, and nationwide and will build on current practices to continue funding relationships with those who support the mission of CCA.
- Identify and continuously update comprehensive prospect list (database) for individual donors, foundations and corporations.
- Make initial introductions with prospects and perform research through internet, phone, and in person opportunities.
- Establish and attain measurable annual goals for each development fundraising component in collaboration with appropriate staff, consultants, and Board of Directors.
- Provide leadership to and engage with the Development Committee of the Board to help attain annual goals.
- Work to cultivate new sources of support with an emphasis on individual giving, including major and planned gifts.
- Cultivate and solicit individual donors for support.
- Write grants, introductory letters, sponsorship letters, and other solicitations for funding, as needed – but this is not a position focused on grant writing.
- Develop and implement one (1) signature event to build relationships and cultivate prospective individual donors over the next 18 months.
- Successfully run a golf tournament in its 11th year in September 2018.
- Develop and enhance Children’s Craniofacial Association’s relationships with key constituencies via networking, public speaking, and other relationship-building activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and Powerpoint (mail merge and Excel proficiency essential to job); ability to use office equipment such as computer, and copier
- Be able use Salsa CRM proficiently, training will be done through online videos and in person sessions with ED
- Demonstrated record of attracting and securing significant gifts from donors
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Substantial knowledge of designing and implementing comprehensive fundraising plans for a variety of funding streams including major gifts, corporate, foundation and annual giving
- Ability to effectively engage staff and Board in solicitation and cultivation activities
- Team-oriented, ability to work with others and report to multiple stakeholders
- Self-starter; resourceful; person of high integrity
- Detail-oriented, accurate, thorough
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Enthusiastic about spreadsheets and tracking
- Solutions-oriented, with a mind toward creative use of available resources
- Experience in and extensive knowledge of the North Texas philanthropy community preferred
- Strong organizational and technical skills
- Emotional intelligence, along with mature, professional behavior regardless of pressure, demands, changes, or misunderstandings
Education and Qualifications
- Must have a minimum of one (1) year experience in fundraising with successful track record of raising funds from individuals, corporations and foundations
- Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree (BA), Master’s Degree a plus
- Past experience with sales and marketing a plus
- Past experience with nonprofits a plus
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments
- Several short trips (2-3 days) per year may be required to attend major functions.
- Other travel will be in the local and regional area.
- After hours events do occur, and candidates must be willing to be available.
Salary will be negotiated based on experience. Paid time off will be available.
Qualified candidates should email cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: contactCCA@ccakids.com with Development Officer Application in the subject. Please, no phone calls or emails to individual staff members.