About the Organization:
Living for Zachary was founded in honor of Zachary Schrah, who was only 16 years old when he collapsed during a high school football practice in Plano on April 2, 2009. There was no warning. There were no signs. After Zachary’s death, Living for Zachary, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, was established in June 2009 to raise awareness of undiagnosed heart issues in teens.
Living for Zachary (L4Z) is seeking an enthusiastic and experienced Vice President (VP), Development with a competitive drive. Reporting to the President, the Vice President (VP), Development serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting Living for Zachary. In partnership with the President, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build Living for Zachary’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. The VP, Development also will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support. The VP, Development will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow to a $1.5M budget through the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support. S/he will expand and diversify Living for Zachary’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. In addition, the VP will work closely with the board of directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role. It is expected that the amount raised by Living for Zachary will increase in future years as the VP, Development systematically and effectively strengthens the organization's overall fundraising capacity.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Actively work with the President and senior staff to develop and execute a plan to increase and expand fundraising efforts including corporate sponsorships, general donations, and grants.
- Support and partner with the President and board members on all major fundraising initiatives.
- Collaborate with the President and senior staff to develop and implement Living for Zachary’s financial strategy.
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach.
- Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders.
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors.
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program.
- Develop and maintain reports for Board of Directors, Leadership teams, and Investors.
- Provide and facilitate annual reports and acknowledgments to investors and donors across the organization.
- Develop, implement and manage fundraising strategies per the annual development plan; including budgets, goals, and objectives.
- Evaluate giving trends of donors and evaluate potential upgrading.
- Work under remote supervision with latitude for independent judgment and decision-making within prescribed areas of authority.
- Understanding and commitment to L4Z’s mission, vision, and values.
- Exceptional communication skills including writing, speaking and meeting facilitation.
- Experience in fund development including event planning, corporate sponsorship, and volunteer committee management.
- Demonstrate efforts to cultivate major donors, secure large corporate sponsorships ($25,000 or more), and identify and secure foundation gifts.
- Experience with fundraising platforms.
- At least 5 years of experience in fundraising/development.
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside Living for Zachary.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, email, Internet and database systems.
- Ability to lift at least 20lb from the ground to waist level with or without reasonable accommodations.
In addition, candidates will need to:
- Work occasional nights and weekends as needed to support Board and community events.
- Pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to Jessica Cook at firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about Living for Zachary visit: www.livingforzachary.org