Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at www.readingpartners.org.
The AmeriCorps Volunteer Coordinator serves as the face of Reading Partners within the community, leading the charge in recruiting and onboarding volunteer tutors, while also executing community engagement initiatives. No two days are alike for Volunteer Coordinators - this is an exciting opportunity to develop recruiting skills, build and maintain relationships with local organizations, and make a real impact in the community
What You'll Do & How You'll Do It
- Volunteer Recruitment & Engagement - Lead Reading Partners’ efforts to recruit volunteer tutors in the respective region by utilizing effective recruitment strategies, planning for and hosting volunteer recognition events, and executing on volunteer retention strategies.
- Partnership Cultivation & Management - Cultivate and manage a portfolio of community partners that serve as pipelines for Reading Partners’ tutor recruitment efforts. Responsibilities include partnership research and cultivation, maximizing existing partnerships, providing marketing support to the region, and accurately tracking tutor and partnerships records.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Are dedicated to national and community service
- Possess a natural ability to connect with people
- Have an eagerness for a dynamic work schedule
- Boast a deep belief in and passionately promote our mission
- Demonstrate a love for relationship building and public speaking
- Have flexibility and adaptability in both work style and work environment
- Take initiative in meeting goals and seeking professional growth
- Can problem-solve through challenges and failures
- Pay strong attention to detail and manage competing priorities effectively
- Can quickly learn new technology systems and have a high level of comfort with MS Office, Google Apps
- Root your work in our core values
- Possess a high school or GED degree
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alum/alumna
- Have experience volunteering with other community-based or education programs
What We Offer:
- AmeriCorps members earn an annual stipend of $16,000, along with medical, dental, and vision coverage at no cost for our members; childcare assistance is available through AmeriCorps for those who qualify. You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans. AmeriCorps members can earn an education award of $5,775 after successfully completing their service term. AmeriCorps members will have an allotment of personal days for sick/vacation.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
The Other Things You Need to Know:
- Service Terms: AmeriCorps members serve full-time from August 2017 through June 2018, and must commit to a service term of 1700 hours over an 11-month period.
- Travel: Volunteer Coordinators are constantly traveling throughout the community, and need reliable transportation to attend partnership meetings, career fairs, and other events. AmeriCorps members also make occasional trips to regional offices and service day events.
- Reading Partners AmeriCorps Orientation: At the start of each program year, Reading Partners holds an intensive program orientation training to take a deeper dive into our program, foster relationships with regional teams, and learn the skills necessary to execute the Volunteer Coordinator role.
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners AmeriCorps team, please submit your application materials to our online posting.
We look forward to hearing from you!