Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at www.readingpartners.org.
Interested in serving at a school site? Check out our three programming opportunities below!
The AmeriCorps Site Coordinator is the face of Reading Partners within our reading centers, leading the full-time program coordination, operations, and relationship development at their school. This is an exciting opportunity to work with kids, coach volunteers, and build partnerships with faculty and staff.
How will you do it?
- Program Implementation - Coordinate the day-to-day operations of Reading Partners’ program at a partner school to ensure Reading Partners’ program and curricula meet students’ learning needs.
- Relationship Management & Communication - Forge and maintain positive relationships within the school community to create a welcoming environment for students, volunteer tutors, faculty, and staff.
The AmeriCorps Regional Site Coordinator is the right hand of our programming team within a given region, serving as a mobile coordinator to support multiple reading centers, identifying trends and sharing best practices across schools, tutoring, and acting as a peer support to AmeriCorps Site Coordinators. This is an exciting opportunity to serve in a leadership capacity.
How will you do it?
- Program Support - Collaborate with AmeriCorps Site Coordinators to implement the Reading Partners program at a portfolio of partner school sites, ensuring that all students receive support to meet their learning needs.
- Relationship Management & Communication - Forge and maintain positive relationships within multiple school communities and with AmeriCorps peers to create welcoming environments for students, volunteer tutors, faculty, and staff.
The AmeriCorps Literacy Lead directly tutors and gives student support within our reading centers, focusing on target students in need of more individualized instruction. This is a great opportunity to provide intensive tutoring to kids, and support the research creation of literacy trainings .
How will you do it?
- Direct Tutoring & Student Support - Tutor an average of 15 target students twice a week, identifying alternative methods for providing more intensive and individualized literacy strategies to meet students’ learning needs.
- Relationship Management & Communication - Forge and maintain positive relationships within the school community to create a welcoming environment for students.
What We Offer:
- AmeriCorps members earn an annual stipend of $16,000, along with medical, dental, and vision coverage at no cost for our members; childcare assistance is available through AmeriCorps for those who qualify. You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans. AmeriCorps members can earn an education award of $5,775 after successfully completing their service term. AmeriCorps members will have an allotment of personal days for sick/vacation.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
The Other things you Need To Know:
- Service Terms: AmeriCorps members serve full-time from August 2017 through June 2018, and must commit to a service term of 1700 hours over an 11-month period.
- Travel: AmeriCorps members regularly travel to school sites throughout the week, and need access to reliable transportation on a daily basis. AmeriCorps members also make occasional trips to regional offices and service day events.
- Reading Partners AmeriCorps Orientation: At the start of each program year, Reading Partners holds an intensive program orientation training to take a deeper dive into our program, foster relationships with regional teams, and learn the skills necessary to execute their respective AmeriCorps role.